Two people in the UK have died from “brain swelling” after taking part in a popular YouTube video in which they were shown walking on a treadmill.
The two people, both from Newcastle, had previously been treated in hospital for conditions including asthma and allergies, and their condition was not known.
Their condition is described as “unresponsive and comatose” in a news release from Newcastle Royal Infirmary.
The patient had been given a blood transfusion, which was administered intravenously, but the blood did not clot, the release said.
The pair were both given anti-seizure medication and were treated for a few days at Newcastle University Hospital in a unit that is part of the Hospital for Sick Children.
A spokesman for the hospital said the patient had “been admitted to hospital for observation”.
“He was discharged following treatment at Newcastle Hospital, with no serious adverse effects reported.”
The Newcastle news outlet reported that the patients deaths were “the result of a combination of factors” and that it was “not yet clear” what the cause of death was.
The coroner for the area, David Walker, said it was not yet known if the two deaths were connected.
Walker said the coroner was not “comfortable” with the “unprecedented” amount of attention paid to the death of the two patients in the video.
The news outlet said the coronial inquest was not open to the public.
The Newcastle News has not seen the video and was unable to reach the hospital where the pair were taken.
The coronial inquiry has been called after a coroner found that the two people were “unfit to consent to the participation of their family in an exercise video.”
The coronimals inquest into the deaths of two patients has been opened by a coroner at Newcastle Royal Hospital, a spokeswoman for the coroner said in a statement.
The inquiry was opened by Newcastle Coroner David Walker.
He has asked the inquiry to look into the circumstances surrounding the deaths, including whether any staff were aware of the risks and whether they knew about any medical treatments being used.
The inquest heard the two were both from the Newcastle city area, and were admitted to Newcastle University Hospitals in Newcastle in July 2016, the same month they had been treated for asthma.
The Coroner said in his findings that the men had “suffered from chronic fatigue syndrome, allergies, respiratory depression and had been prescribed anti-inflammatory medications.”
The Coronimals Service said the two had suffered from “incomprehensible symptoms” which included headaches, dizziness, loss of appetite and difficulty breathing.
The report also found that they were given a “blood transfusion” which was not given to anyone else.
It said the pair “appeared to be in a very advanced state of brain injury.”